Tecla Hove to on the Atlantic side

Tecla Hove to on the Atlantic side
After rounding the Horn, the sun did not
start shining.. and as we entered through the Estrecho de le Maire to the
Atlantic side of the Southern Ocean, the wind did not die out. So we took our
bearings on weather reports and the barometer that is still at 981Hp and chose
to ride out some of this depression on this slightly leeward coast line.

We are hove to under a mizzen with second reef and big mooring lines
have been streamed out on the front to keep the head on the waves. We tried it
under mizzen and reefed forestaysail, but then she still wanted to sail! We are
slowly drifting north, which is not bad at all! Our last weather report
forecasted 36 knots from the south west for the next day and a half. We would
have reached the 50 degrees South before the wind would die out, which might
have meant riding out the storm there. We guessed the waves by that time and on
that position would probably be bigger then down here, so we turned the rudder
and hoved to.

The watches have been dismissed for this night. The crew
is on watch in the aft, keeping an eye on the radar and the rigging, but the
rest has a full night in bed. And it is a well deserved rest. The last day and a
half have been very impressive. The cold and the wind take a lot of energy, the
constant movement wares you out more then you realize and most have been hauled
out of bed for the rounding of Cape Horn and all the sightings of land!

The mainland of Argentina came in sight in between the showers and low
hanging clouds. It was amazing to see. Hills rising high, snow on the mountains
and every now and then a orange ray of sunlight on a rocky patch. We sailed
through the Estrecho with an enormous speed, we even hit the 13 knots with a
fair bit of current pushing us along. The wind has been between a force 7 and 9
all day long and slightly more in the showers. Under reefed forestaysail and
storm jib, we went along very nicely.

Right now I am sitting in the aft,
outside is getting lighter. Storm clouds are on the horizon looking ominous.
Some are already dumping their hail and snow out on the water, others are
waiting for the right moment.. and that moment might be when they are right on
top of us. The wind is howling right now, shaking our aft shutters. Hail is
rapidly tapping on the skirt of the mizzen mast and the yellow/green shine on
the radar screen shows that we are surrounded by showers, all sides in a 12 mile
radius. We will stay hove to until breakfast at 8, then we will see if we
continue or stay slightly longer. Depending on the new weather forecast. If you
see us doing 10 knots on the Yellowbrick, that means we have set our sails again
for the last 500 miles of this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.